Creative and Alternative Grief Counseling Techniques
Breyer State University
COURSE OVERVIEW: Welcome to GRD 1206, Creative and Alternative Grief Counseling Techniques. This course is part of the Accelerated Doctoral program in Counseling at Breyer State University. It is a 6-hour semester course that must be completed within 6 weeks. The aim of this course is provide students with an overview of grief therapy that utilizes creative and alternative techniques. Course topics will include framing, emotional modulation, body work, transforming trauma, facilitating behavioral change, restructuring cognition through alternative methods like REBI (rational emotive body imagery), ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) and Schema therapy for lost relationships; dealing with client resistance creatively; finding meaning, using life narratives; integrating the arts in counseling; harnessing the therapeutic benefits of grieving with others; ritualizing transitions, and caring for oneself as a grief counselor.
Please bear in mind that this is an accelerated program, so you will find the course to be fast-paced and the workload a bit more intense than what is typical in a regular program.
TIME FRAME: GRD 1206 is a 6 hour semester course that must be completed within a 6 week period. You must complete all course requirements successfully within that time period. Week one will begin when you register for the course or, alternatively, the day you notify me via e-mail that you have received the textbook and are ready to begin. Extensions are granted in certain circumstances. You must obtain written approval from the instructor and/or department for extensions.
Neimeyer, R. A. (Ed.). (2012). Techniques of Grief Therapy: Creative Practices for Counseling the Bereaved. Routledge: New York.
ISBN-10: 0415807255 | ISBN-13: 978-0415807258
COURSE ASSIGNMENTS: After completing your required reading for each module as instructed, you will complete your assignment. I will provide feedback and then you will be able to move on to the following module. The written papers/examinations should be approached after you feel you have mastered the material so that you are capable of elaborating on it and applying it as needed instead of merely repeating it. You should try to integrate suggestions and corrections into subsequent work you submit. Remember, do not hesitate to contact me with questions about the course, the material or my feedback.
Module 1: Framing the work; modulating emotion; mindfulness training; reconstructing nightmares; use of humor; body work techniques; techniques to transform trauma; using EMDR for grief work; alternative approaches to behavioral change.
Read: Parts I- V of the textbook
Complete Assignment 1
Module 2: Restructuring cognition: alternative techniques including REBI (rational emotive body imagery), ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) and Schema therapy for lost relationships; cognitive restructuring with bereaved children; dealing with client resistance; finding meaning; rewriting life narratives; finding a voice in grief; integrating arts in the process (specific techniques will be addressed).
Read: Parts VI- X of the textbook
Complete Assignment 2
Module 3: Creative methods of helping clients heal by consolidating memories and renewing bonds with the deceased; goals for specific therapeutic situations; harnessing the therapeutic power of grieving with others; ritualizing transition (specific techniques will be addressed); self-care for the grief counselor.
Read: Parts XI- XVII of the textbook
Complete Assignment 3
Module 4: Final Project (Demonstrate your working understanding of creative and alternative methods /techniques of grief counseling).
Several factors will be taken into account when I review your work:
1. Content is comprehensive, accurate and all requested information is properly addressed
2. Major points are stated clearly, and are supported by specific references from the literature, details, examples, and/or analysis.
3.Research is adequate for the topic
4.Any concept that is not strictly your own MUST be appropriately referenced using APA style. The correct format for indirect referencing is (Author’s last name, year) at the END of a sentence and (Author, year, p. #) for direct quotes.
5.You are able to show that you are not merely memorizing information but rather are processing it and are capable of applying it to real-life scenarios with clients whenever possible.
1. The introduction provides sufficient background on the topic and previews major points.
2. The structure of the paper is clear and easy to follow.
3. The paper follows a logical structure and concepts are illustrated with examples wherever possible.
4. The conclusion reviews the major points.
1. Sentences are complete, clear, and concise.
2. The tone is appropriate to the content and assignment and qualifies as higher level academic writing.
90-100% will correspond to an A
80-89 = B
Below 70 will be a failing grade.
1. Gain an understanding of a range of creative and alternative techniques of grief therapy
2. Learn specific approaches to framing, facilitating emotional modulation and transforming trauma
3. Learn about alternative/creative means of facilitating behavioral change
4. Learn about restructuring cognition through alternative methods like REBI (rational emotive body imagery), ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) and Schema therapy for lost relationships
5. Address ways of dealing with client resistance creatively
6. Understanding how to harness the therapeutic benefits of grieving with others
7. Learn specific therapeutic techniques for ritualizing transition and facilitating emotional healing after loss
8. Learn how to care for oneself as a grief counselor