The title of degrees issued by BSTU includes a religious modifier that immediately proceeds, or is included within, any of the following degrees to comply with the Florida Department of Education, Commission for Independent Education Section 1005.06 (1) (f): Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts, Master of Science, Doctor of Philosophy, and Doctor of Education.
The objective of the Master in Counseling Psychology is to specialize with a rigorous foundation of courses in Counseling Psychology. This approach to counseling psychology will focus on assessing and building on clients’ strengths. You will delve into such topics as counseling theory, individual and group counseling interventions, testing and assessment, research methods, and counseling diagnosis.
When you graduate from this program, you will be able to
- Recognize the spiritual resources for healing and to utilize them in helping relationship.
- Provide skills and academic credentials which lead to employment.
- Instill ethical values in those who become involved in the helping professions.
- Ensure a high level of professional competence in the graduates.
Area of Study
Counseling Psychology with a Concentration in one of the following
- Addictions Counseling
- Counseling Psychology
- Positive Psychology
Type of Degree
Masters of Art
Length of Degree
2-3 years. Each course has a maximum timeframe of 15 weeks. You are granted 6 months to complete your Thesis.
Bachelor degree in psychology, counseling psychology, behavior psychology, developmental psychology, clinical psychology, addictions counseling psychology, or a related field.
Please note: This degree does not prepare one for a license in counseling.
Estimated Cost of Degree
|$6,500.00||Tuition costs (13 courses/$500.00 per course)|
|$1,100.00||Estimated textbooks costs|
|$8,000.00||Estimated total for the program *|
7 Core Courses – 28 hrs
5 Concentration Courses – 20 hrs
1 Thesis Course – 8 hrs
Total Semester Hours – 56
Some career fields this degree will prepare you for are
- Student Counselor
- Hospital Counselor
- Focus Group Coordinator
- Organizational Psychologist
- Help Hotline Counselor
- Counselor Assistant to a Psychologist
- Crisis Counselor
The online curriculum offers an innovative approach to higher education. Enrollment is open and students may begin the program at any time. All courses are provided in online classrooms, with one-to-one faculty mentoring. Students also have free access to our comprehensive Study Tactics and Resources Center, with links to subject related websites, online libraries, articles and research assistance. Our online degree curriculum includes
- PSY 501 – Theories of Personality
- PSY 530 – Counseling Techniques and Theories
- PSY 560 – Tests and Measurements
- PSY 580 – Ethics in Counseling
- PSY 600 – Group Counseling
- PSY 640 – Marriage and Family Counseling
- RES 502 – Research methods
The above core courses are required for all students in the degree program. Upon successful completion of the core courses, students will select one of the specialty tracks
- AC 525 – Pharmacology & Addictions
- AC 560 – Assessment Methods in Addictions Counseling
- AC 595 – Drug Abuse & Counseling
- AC 610 – Alcoholism & Addictions Counseling
- AC 625 – Children & Addictions
- AC 695 – Thesis
- PSY 515 – Psychopathology
- PSY 625 – Brief Therapy
- PSY 675 – Brief Therapy with Children and Adolescents
- PSY 690 – Substance Abuse Counseling
- PSY 700 – Independent Study Course
- PSY 801 – Thesis
- PSY 505 – Introduction to Positive Psychology
- PSY 540 – Psychology of Human Strength
- PSY 605 – Positive Interventions
- PSY 630 – Coaching and Positive Interventions
- PSY 650 – Stress Management and Well-Being
- PSY 801 – Thesis
TOTAL: 58 Semester Hours
Courses in this curriculum are to be taken in sequence as above.
TUITION: $500.00 per course. Students may register and pay for one course at a time.
* Note: Cost of tuition does not include cost of textbooks.
** There is also a one time $50.00 admission processing fee.
Course Completion Times: Students are permitted 15 weeks to complete an online course. This may be extended with the permission of the instructor.
TRANSFER CREDITS: For detailed information please Click here