The objectives of the Bachelor of Art in Journalism are for you acquire the skills needed to excel in a career in journalism. Through this program you will learn how journalism affects our society. Many theories and ethical questions will be answered as well during your studies. Once completed you will have a better understanding of professionalism in journalism, your rights as a journalist, and how to creatively convey your message to your readers.
When you graduate from this program, you will be able to:
- Understand and apply the principles and laws of freedom of speech and press./li>
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history and role of professionals and institutions in shaping communications.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the diversity of groups in a global society in relationship to communications.
- Understand concepts and apply theories in the use and presentation of images and information.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethical principles and work ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy, fairness, and diversity.
Area of Study
Journalism, Broadcasting and Mass Communications
Type of Degree
Bachelor of Arts
Length of Degree
4 years. Each course has a maximum timeframe of 15 weeks. You are granted 6 months to complete your capstone project.
A high school diploma or an earned GED.
Estimated Cost of Degree
$11,600.00 Tuition costs (29 course/$400.00 per course)
$50.00 Enrollment fee
$200.00 Graduation fee
$2,250.00 Estimated textbooks costs
$14,100.00 Estimated total for the program*
(*Please note that this is an estimated cost of your program not the actual cost)
8 General Elective Courses – 32 hours
11 Core Courses – 44 hours
9 Core Courses – 36 hours
1 Capstone Project Course – 8 hours
Total Semester Hours – 120
Several career fields this degree will prepare you for are:
- Staff Writer
- Broadcast News Reporter
The online curriculum offers an innovative approach to higher education. Enrollment is open and students may begin the program at any time. All courses are provided in online classrooms, with on-to-one faculty mentoring. Students also have free access to our comprehensive Study Tactics and Resources Center, with links to subject related web sites, online libraries, articles and research assistance. Our online degree curriculum includes:
Courses in this curriculum are to be taken in sequence as above.
TUITION: $400.00 per course. Students may register and pay for one course at a time.
* Note: cost of tuition does not include cost of text books.
** There is also a one time $50.00 admission processing fee.
Course Completion Times: Students are permitted 15 weeks to complete an online course. This may be extended
with the permission of the instructor.
TRANSFER CREDITS: Up to 75 percent of the degree may be earned by transfer credits from other schools. For detailed information please Click here