Psychotherapy overview: Theory and Practice I
Breyer State University
COURSE OVERVIEW: Welcome to GRD 1101: Psychotherapy overview: Theory and Practice I. This course is part of the Accelerated Doctoral program in Grief Counseling at Breyer State University. It is a 6-hour semester course that must be completed within 6 weeks. The aim of this course is to gain a working understanding of fundamental theories of psychotherapy and its practice. GRD 1101 and its continuation, GRD 1102, will provide you with both a theoretical understanding of various approaches to therapy and a practical skill set to apply in the field. This is a necessary background for the effective practice of grief therapy. While you may have gained some familiarity with this material in Masters level courses, GRD 101 and 102 provide a more advanced working knowledge of the major approaches to therapy. You will also find consistent opportunities to apply the material to grief therapy specifically.
Please bear in mind that this is an accelerated program, so you will find the course to be fast-paced and the workload a bit more intense than what is typical in a regular program.
TIME FRAME: GRD 1101 is a 6 hour semester course that must be completed within a 6 week period. You must complete all course requirements successfully within that time period. Week one will begin when you register for the course or, alternatively, the day you notify me via e-mail that you have received the textbook and are ready to begin. Extensions are granted in certain circumstances. You must obtain written approval from the instructor and/or department for extensions.
Wedding, D. and Corsini, R. (2013). Current Psychotherapies. Cengage Learning: International.
ISBN-10: 1285083717 ISBN-13: 978-1285083711
· Please note you will use this textbook for both GRM101 and GRM102.
· You may use a different recent edition of the book after checking with your instructor
COURSE ASSIGNMENTS: After completing your required reading for each module as instructed, you will complete your assignment. I will provide feedback and then you will be able to move on to the following module. The written papers/examinations should be approached after you feel you have mastered the material so that you are capable of elaborating on it and applying it as needed instead of merely repeating it. You should try to integrate suggestions and corrections into subsequent work you submit. Remember, do not hesitate to contact me with questions about the course, the material or my feedback.
Module 1: Introduction to Psychotherapies in the 21st century; Psychoanalytic psychotherapies, Adlerian psychotherapy, Client-centered psychotherapy.
Read: Chapters 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the textbook
Complete Assignment 1
Module 2: Rational-Emotive Behavior Therapy; Behavior Therapy; Cognitive therapy.
Read: Chapters 5, 6 and 7 in the textbook
Complete Assignment 2
Module 3: Existential psychotherapy; Gestalt therapy.
Read: Chapters 8 and 9 in the textbook
Complete Assignment 3
Module 4: Final Project (This will involve applying coursework material to case vignettes, demonstrating a working understanding of various psychotherapies and how to utilize them in the context of grief therapy).
Several factors will be taken into account when I review your work:
1. Content is comprehensive, accurate and all requested information is properly addressed
2. Major points are stated clearly, and are supported by specific references from the literature, details, examples, and/or analysis.
3.Research is adequate for the topic
4.Any concept that is not strictly your own MUST be appropriately referenced using APA style. The correct format for indirect referencing is (Author’s last name, year) at the END of a sentence and (Author, year, p. #) for direct quotes.
5.You are able to show that you are not merely memorizing information but rather are processing it and are capable of applying it to real-life scenarios with clients whenever possible.
1. The introduction provides sufficient background on the topic and previews major points.
2. The structure of the paper is clear and easy to follow.
3. The paper follows a logical structure and concepts are illustrated with examples wherever possible.
4. The conclusion reviews the major points.
1. Sentences are complete, clear, and concise.
2. The tone is appropriate to the content and assignment and qualifies as higher level academic writing.
90-100% will correspond to an A
80-89 = B
Below 70 will be a failing grade.
1. Gain a solid understanding of major approaches to psychotherapy
2. Gain a working knowledge of a wide variety of therapeutic conceptualization and intervention skills
3. Understand how to apply various therapeutic approaches to grief work
4. Be able to discern which approaches/techniques are best suited to different clients/situations
5. Understand contemporary issues in psychotherapy and challenges/controversies therein